An IT trainer is mainly responsible for developing training courses that are related to information and communication technology. They also provide training for these courses to novice users. In addition to this, they also provide training in using various software, programming languages, website designing, etc. IT trainers provide training mainly in two categories: desktop software applications and technical areas. The desktop software applications include databases, spreadsheets, word processing applications, presentations, etc. The technical areas of IT training include programming, website designing, networking, etc.
The main responsibilities of an IT trainer include the following:
- An IT trainer must carry out a need analysis of the type of training required by the trainees. This is necessary because some people might not be familiar with how to operate a PC at all while a few others may have knowledge about various aspects of IT.
- He is responsible for designing course material for training and also ensures that everyone gets the material.
- The trainer also needs to set up the required IT equipment.
- The trainer also has to evaluate how effective the training is so that the training material can be improved if necessary.
- An IT trainer must maintain all the hardware and software that is necessary for the training.
- The trainer must also deliver the training effectively.
- An IT trainer is also responsible for maintaining all the records.
The IT trainer must also possess good communication skills as well as problem solving skills. He also needs to have very good presentation skills so that he can deliver the training in an effective manner. The trainer must also have good planning and organizational skills. Well developed interpersonal skills are a big advantage for these trainers. These trainers must also be confident and always motivated to work and become better. In addition these trainers must have practical knowledge about how to implement various IT related software, hardware, and other technical equipment.
When it comes to IT careers or jobs, there is a tough competition and every organization wants to hire the best people who are experts or specialists. It is therefore recommended that trainers must have a prior experience in the same field. However, there are organizations that hire even those who do not have any experience.
Most IT trainers require training in the technical area of IT. This training is necessary so that the trainers can get to know how to maintain and create networks, systems, and databases. Most organizations provide in house training. For those organizations where in house training is not possible, the trainers can be sent to some training institution for getting the necessary training. Training is also provided once the trainers start their job so that they can keep themselves updated with the latest trends. In addition, the trainers may be asked to refer to various magazines and journals so that they can keep themselves updated with the latest developments in the field of IT.
The IT trainers draw a very good pay package. They usually get a high salary and also various benefits. The working conditions are very friendly and the trainers may have to use different equipment while providing training.
There are several career development opportunities for an IT trainer. An IT trainer may be promoted to a higher position in the organization. These trainers may even opt for online training or writing course materials for other trainers. Also they may establish themselves as IT consultants and even start their own IT training company.
IT trainers are hired by almost all organizations. They may also be hired by various software houses. An IT trainer may even be hired by an organization whose prime business is not IT.